|4-Kanji Translation:||Spectating Merciful Eye|
|Series Debut:||Sengoku BASARA 3|
|Playable Debut:||Sengoku BASARA 3 Utage|
|Games:||Sengoku BASARA 3 (NPC)|
Sengoku BASARA 3 Utage
Sengoku BASARA 4
Sengoku BASARA 4 Sumeragi
Sengoku BASARA Sanada Yukimura-den
|Anime:||Sengoku BASARA The Last Party|
Sengoku BASARA Judge End
|Voice Actor:||Vic Mignogna (Samurai Heroes/The Last Party/Judge End)|
|Stage Actor:||Masashi Taniguchi|
Tenkai is a non-playable character in Sengoku BASARA 3 and one of the several NPC's to become playable in Sengoku BASARA 3 Utage. He is a high-ranking monk standing at Kobayakawa's side. With sweet words and turns of phrases he guides the indecisive Kobayakawa as he wants. No one knows his true identity, though he bears an uncanny resemblance to Akechi Mitsuhide. However, in Sengoku BASARA 3 Utage, his true identity was eventually revealed to be Akechi Mitsuhide in disguise, showing that he survived from Hideyoshi's attack.
Role in the GamesEdit
In Oichi's Green Route, he claims to want to ressurect Lord Nobunaga and fight him for some undiscernable reason. Should you defeat him, he will claim that "The Enemy Is At Honnoji". Following this, Oichi will go to Honnoji, and Tenkai will die anticlimactically at Nobunaga's hands. They seemed to know each other, as Nobunaga calls him "still" a fool which is ironic because in Nobunaga's ending Nobunaga says that he doesn't know him much to Tenkai's horror, however Nobunaga's claim that he "does not know" Tenkai could simply be a refusal to acknowledge Tenkai's achievements to keep Tenkai from dying in peace.
In several character's stories, when defeated before or during Sekigahara, he kills himself. He closes his eyes and speaks of peace at the edge of a sea cliff before letting himself fall from the cliff into the water, thus dying.
Tenkai is also unlockable as an ally, by defeating him using Oda Nobunaga. As an ally, he has a special ability: Evil Eyes, that will make enemies panic when stared by him.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
Tenkai (天海, Tenkai, 1536 – November 13, 1643) was a Japanese Tendai Buddhist monk of the Azuchi-Momoyama and early Edo periods. He achieved the rank of Daisōjō, the highest rank of the priesthood. His Buddhist name was first Zuifū (随風?), which he changed to Tenkai in 1590. Also known as Nankōbō Tenkai (南光坊 天海), he died in 1643, and was granted the posthumous title of Jigen Daishi (慈眼大師?) in 1648.
Tenkai was at Kita-in (then written 北院) in Kawagoe in 1588, and became abbot in 1599. He was on the staff of Tokugawa Ieyasu, and served as a liaison between the Tokugawa Shogunate and the Imperial Court in Kyoto. One of his projects was the rebuilding of Enryaku-ji, which had been devastated by Oda Nobunaga. He also revitalized Kita-in, and changed the characters of its name to 喜多院. Nearing death in 1616, Ieyasu entrusted Tenkai with his last will regarding matters of his funeral and his posthumous name. Tenkai selected gongen rather than myōjin, and after death Ieyasu became known as Tōshō Daigongen.
Tenkai continued to serve as a consultant to the next two Tokugawa shoguns. In 1624, retired shogun Tokugawa Hidetada and ruling shogun Tokugawa Iemitsu asked him to establish Kan'ei-ji, a Buddhist temple to the northeast of Edo Castle in Ueno.
There are several theories concerning his early life. Some fiction writers postulate that he was in actuality Akechi Mitsuhide. It is not certain whether Mitsuhide died at the Battle of Yamazaki or not, and some suppose that he survived and began a new life as the priest Tenkai.
How to UnlockEdit
|Game||How to Unlock||Notes|
|Sengoku BASARA 3||Unplayable||-|
|Sengoku BASARA 3 Utage||Unlocked by Default||-|
|Sengoku BASARA 4||Clear the game with Hideaki||Can be unlocked with DLC|
|Sengoku BASARA 4 Sumeragi||Unlocked by Default||-|
|Sengoku BASARA Sanada Yukimura-den||Complete Story Mode||-|
There are eight references towards Tenkai's true identity possibly being Akechi Mitsuhide.
- When fought by Tokugawa Ieyasu, he says "we meet again" at the beginning of the battle. Ieyasu also seems to recognize him when he says this.
- When defeated by any character at the Siege of Karasu Castle level, he will mention the fact that "he would love to die a second time," but says that they will meet again.
- When he is killed by Oda Nobunaga, Nobunaga notes that "he was once, and still, a fool." Additionally, when Nobunaga and Tenkai fight, Nobunaga occasionally states that he is "a ghost in the shape of Mitsuhide."
- Like Akechi Mitsuhide, he also has thirst for blood and death.
- After the player defeated Oichi in the Siege of Kanegasaki, it is revealed he is Akechi Mitsuhide when he says he changed his name and concealed his face.
- When Oichi battles him during Siege of Karasu Castle, she says something to the effect of "It has been so long, Mitsuhide."
- Whenever a dialog box pops up, the respective family crest can be seen next to the speaker's head. In Tenkai's case, the Akechi crest is shown.
- Tenkai can be unlocked as an ally. His description reads, that "he is a former traitor" which is a clear reference to his betrayal against Nobunaga at Honno-ji.
- When fought by Oichi, both seem to recognize each other, and he starts refering to the former Oda clan in an attempt to make Oichi remember, asking her about Ranmaru, No-Hime, Nobunaga, and about temple Honno-ji.
|Shima Sakon • Shibata Katsuie • Yamanaka Shikanosuke • Gotō Matabei • Ii Naotora • Date Masamune • Sanada Yukimura • Oda Nobunaga • Takeda Shingen • Shimazu Yoshihiro • Honda Tadakatsu • Maeda Keiji • Chōsokabe Motochika • Mōri Motonari • Toyotomi Hideyoshi • Takenaka Hanbei • Katakura Kojūrō • Azai Nagamasa • Oichi • Fūma Kotarō • Tokugawa Ieyasu • Ishida Mitsunari • Ōtani Yoshitsugu • Saika Magoichi • Kuroda Kanbei • Tsuruhime • Matsunaga Hisahide • Kobayakawa Hideaki • Tenkai • Mogami Yoshiaki • Tachibana Muneshige • Ōtomo Sōrin|
|Ashikaga Yoshiteru • Kyōgoku Maria • Akechi Mitsuhide • Kasuga • Maeda Toshiie • Matsu • Takeda Shingen • Uesugi Kenshin|
|Nōhime • Mori Ranmaru|
|Allies • BASARA-ya Shop • Costumes • Endings • Sengoku BASARA 4/Fugitive Bingo • Giga BASARA • Inscriptions - Menu • Play Books • Stages • Routes • Trophies • Weapons|